VMware VSAN Officially Launched !!
After a long period in beta phase it’s ready now. Announced during a web conference hosted by chief executive Pat Gelsinger on March 6 , VMware Virtual SAN (VSAN) is aimed at creating virtual pools of storage using resources available to physical server nodes. This includes direct-attached hard drives, plus existing SAN and NAS arrays. VSAN 1.0 will be available in the week of March 10.
VMware announced two ways that customers can build and deploy a Virtual SAN™ node:
1) Select Ready Node or Ready Block
- Ready Node is a single tested pre-configured server and Ready-Block is a tested pre-configured set of servers for use with Virtual SAN.
- VMware is working with Cisco, Dell, Fujitsu, IBM, and Supermicro in rolling out multiple Ready Nodes and Ready Blocks over the next 30 days.
2) Select individual components using the Virtual SAN Compatibility Guide:
- Any server on vSphere Hardware Compatibility List
- Multi-level cell SSD (or better) or PCIe SSD
- SAS/NL-SAS HDD, Select SATA HDDs
- 6Gb enterprise-grade HBA/RAID controller
You can download the in depth details from the below links